Thursday, August 14, 2014

Perspicacity

     I recently visited Oakwoods cemetery, in an effort to clear my thoughts so that I could refocus my efforts to accurately inform the voters of the 6th Ward as to the type of person I am, and what my core priorities will be as an Alderman in the City of Chicago.
     I visited my Mothers' gravesite, and after awhile, I walked away with an understanding that I didn't have before. I understood that, in order to effectively represent the residents of the 6th Ward, it would be necessary for me to do three things.
     I would have to stay focused on solving the important problems and issues that have negatively effected our lives, and actively pursue solutions to those problems.
     I would have to maintain an open heart, in order to avoid becoming calloused and insensitive to the needs of my constituents.
      And I would have to Never Give Up, in my efforts to effect some worthwhile positive changes in the lives of the residents of the 6th Ward.

     Before I left Oakwoods, I stopped for awhile at the resting place of the man who'd inspired me to step forward and lend my energy and efforts to the service and betterment of others. I walked away with a term in my mind that I had heard him use once, "Perspicacity". The definition I found for this term described it as, "The ability of having a ready insight into things. Shrewdness."
      There have been occasions in my professional life, in which I've been able to understand the fundamental core issue which had precipitated an incident which needed to be resolved efficiently, and equitably. In order to bring about solutions to sometimes complex and seemingly insurmountable barriers to understanding and problem solving, "Perspicacity" is essential.
     Whether my campaign receives many thousands of dollars and scores of volunteers, or I find it necessary to struggle on a daily basis to get onto the ballot and attain at least 7,650 of your votes, I will be your next Alderman. That's my magic number. It's the goal I've set for myself, and it's mine for the taking. Yes, my statements here do appear to be somewhat brash and overconfident, but who among you is willing to be represented by someone who is less than confident in their own abilities?

        

No comments:

Post a Comment